Joy Begins with You
Let’s face it. You’re either the person walking into the office with your Starbucks red themed holiday cup, fuzzy winter hat, and humming a Christmas tune; or you’re not. Guess, which lane I drive in?
Starbucks – check.
Fuzzy winter hat – pink leopard, check.
Humming a Christmas tune – how about singing along with my phone? Check, check.
And the Grinch who tosses over the cubicle wall that “It’s too early for Christmas music!”? Well, as I’m learning from my southern friends, we’ll just “Bless their hearts!” and I’ll pray for the heart that was two sizes too small. Remember friends, joy begins with you. (I’m just saying.)
I spend a lot of time at work; and while I enjoy my work and my crew, I wouldn’t mind spending a little more time home with my other family. (You know, the ones I’m married to and carried for 9 months.)
When I can’t be home as much of the Christmas Season as I’d like,
I do my part to bring some Merry & Bright into the workplace.
While many of my colleagues are feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and even a little lonely with the coming of Christmas; it’s my goal to make sure that the office environment adds a measure of joy and a bit of encouragement to their busy days.
Here are 5 Ways I Make sure Joy Begins with Me:
- An old-fashioned card. Each year I hand write cards to all of my staff (more than 100!). I try to add a personal note for each one and then hand deliver them. I’ve heard from so many that these cards are sometimes the only ones they receive because nobody sends cards anymore. In return, I post all the Christmas cards I receive on the door to my office.
- Decorate, decorate, decorate. Everyone at the office loves the day we put a call out for volunteers to help set up the entryway tree. It’s gigantic and covered in red velvet bows and beautiful bulbs. (It also gets people away from their desk!)
- Say it with flowers – or a nice plant. Speaking of decorations, each year I purchase a few poinsettia for our reception area. Not only do the staff enjoy them but so do our customers – we want to make sure we share our holiday cheer.
- Breakfast anyone? Every year our leadership staff serves an Employee Appreciation Breakfast to our team members. From breakfast burritos, to crepes, and cocoa bars, our goal is to provide a small token of how much we appreciate them.
- Make it fun. Some years we do drawings for door prizes, others we’ve adopted a family for Christmas, or hosted Toys-for-Tots. This year may feature a cubicle decorating contest.
If these ideas don’t jingle your bells, here are a few more that might help ensure the joy begins with you.
- Organize a lunch break cookie exchange with your colleagues.
- Decorate your space, whether you have a cubicle or full office – desk trees are the best!
- Arrange for a Christmas Karaoke Party
If you’re looking for more ways to spread joy at work, check out this article from INC. on 31 Random Acts of Christmas Kindness.
And, please share how you’re planning to help spread the joy while on the job this year!