This is the first election our 7 year old daughter is old enough to have an awareness of during her lifetime. And while government was always a favorite subject of mine in school the Weatherman and I have made a conscious decision to shield our daughter from most of it. As important as the political process is I refuse to expose her to the vernacular being used. We don’t watch the news with our girls around, we DVR most shows we watch thus skipping all commercials –and we don’t leave magazines or newspapers around for our 7 year olds inquisitive mind.
No matter how hard we try to protect her it’s impossible to keep her from everything and recently she asked me a series of questions that stemmed from recess conversations.
“Mom, if Donald Trump gets elected will we have to move to Mexico? Will anybody that’s Mexican have to go back to Mexico? What about my teacher Mrs. _____?”
“Mom, all the girls say that Mr. Trump wants to kill all the girls and that he calls us all pigs.”
“Mom, will Hillary close all the Christian schools if she gets elected?”
The more I thought about her questions and the messages she was receiving from these candidates for a position we were teaching her to respect – the more I thought about greater lessons that I could have a conversation with her about.
- Words are like toothpaste; once you say them you can’t put them back in the tube. Your words matter greatly so choose wisely the words you speak.
Psalm 37:30 “The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak what is just.”
Proverbs 12:18 “The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
- How we spend our time, what we choose to do says something about our priorities. People will tell us about what matters to them but watch what they do, not what they say.
Matthew 5:16 “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
1 John 3:18 “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions in truth.”
- God did not create us to spend our days in fear but to put our hope and confidence in Him. You will hear things that may cause you to fear – resist it because your heavenly Father is in control.
Psalm 56:3 “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Deuteronomy 3:22 “Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.”
- Character matters. Who or what do you want to be known for? What do you want to define you?
Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
Colossians 3:12 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”
- Never lose hope. No matter who is elected, God still sits on His throne.
Psalm 45:6 “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever.”
Psalm 47:8 “God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.”
Revelation 4:2 “At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it.”